- About Us
- Beginning Farmers
Oregon Small Farm News is a free online newsletter that concentrates on both commercial small farm entrepreneurs as well as non-commercial small acreage landowners. Our focus embraces organic/biological and conventional farming systems and emphasizes three areas:
- Small Acreage Stewardship - Addressing enterprises, land management and soil and water quality for non-commercial small acreage's.
- Commercial Small Farms - Entrepreneurial Agriculture Addressing high value horticulture, livestock and poultry, and alternative crop production emphasizing organic and pasture-based systems and specialty and niche production.
- Community Food Systems - Address alternative and specialty marketing through creation and enhancement of local and regional food systems and farm direct marketing channels.
- Welcome Clare Sullivan
- Taking the Research on the Road: The Future of Oregon’s Farmland
- Dry Farming Collaborative: Innovating and adapting to a changing climate
- Food Hubs and Wholesale Market Development
- Research on Essential Oils to Control Snails and Slugs
- Small Farms and a Regional Food Bank Grow Community Food Security
- New Report on Farmer Transition to Organic: Breaking New Ground: Farmer Perspective on Organic Transition
- On-Farm Food Safety Workshops for Oregon Produce Growers
- Protect Oregon’s Brassica Crops: ODA’s black leg rules aim to control an outbreak
- Local Food Production and Sales Increase in the Rogue Valley
- The 2017 OSU Small Farms Conference in Six Photographs
- How Has Cannabis Legalization Affected Small Farms so Far?
- Reflections of a SARE Fellow
- D.I.Y Farm Tools and Equipment
- GROW Healthy Kids and Communities - Reporting Back After 5 Years in Communities
The 41st Issue
Organic Farming Gets a Boost from New Partnership Between Oregon State University and Oregon Tilth with Launch of Organic Extension Program
Breaking Down Beef with Retail Butchers and a Small Meat Processor
OSU Central Analytical Laboratory
Best Milking Practices for Small-Scale Dairies
Oregon Community Food Systems Network Seeks New Partners
Small Plant Operators Meet with USDA Officials at Gunthorp Farm
Oregon Organic Coalition Bestows Awards for Excellence on Nine Oregon Individuals and Companies
Re-visiting Conway Family Farm -- Camas, WA
Land Access, Land Succession, and Oregon Agriculture: New research underlines challenges and opportunities
Oregon Community Food Systems Network Launches Website
Dry Farming Oregon
NMPAN's Beginner's Guide to Local Meat Processing
FSMA Updates: Farm Direct & More
Organic Farmer Fights for a Sustainable Future
The OSU Small Farms Conference: 16 Years & Breaking Records
USFDA issues RFC in FR re BSAAO for FSMA PR
Farmers Share Their Farm to School Experiences
Growing Resilience: Water Management Workshop Series
New Technology Available for CSA Farmers Funded by Western SARE
National Animal Health Monitoring System and the 5 Q's
Plant in a Box: A Solution for USDA-Inspected Poultry Processing?
Local Foods and Farm Business Survival and Growth
Food Summit Helps to Connect the Mid-Valley
Scientists Urge New Model for Soil Carbon
Brietenbush Farmer to Farmer: Ahas and Uh-oh!
Field to Fork: An Agricultural Field Day
Poultry Feed Trials at Berggren Demonstration Farm
USDA Does Switcheroo with Grass Fed Label Standard
Want to Identify Crop Specific Costs of Production for Your Farm? Join the 2016 Cost Study Project and Make it Happen!
Northwest Farm Credit’s New Programs for Beginning Farmers
Croptime: Scheduling Vegetables with Degree-Day Models
Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PEDV) in Oregon
Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus (PEDV) What Is It?
Jackson County’s Ban on Genetically Engineered Crops Will Stand
Finger Lakes Meat Project: Bringing Back the Meat Locker
Using Sacrifice Areas to Protect Pastures
What Do You Need to Know About FDA’s New FSMA rules?
It’s Just around the Corner: The next Living on a Few Acres Conference
Farmer, Entrepreneur, Soil Scientist, Mechanic, Vet…That’s you!